POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : AA tweaking idea : AA tweaking idea Server Time
7 Aug 2024 13:16:17 EDT (-0400)
  AA tweaking idea
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 18 Sep 2001 11:16:22
Message: <3BA7654F.D3428246@unforgettable.com>
I was playing with AA settings today and it occurred to me that while
high-contrast areas need a high adaptive sampling setting to achieve a
really smooth-looking edge, areas with less contrast can get by with
quick and dirty sampling. To some extent, this is provided for by the AA
threshold.. but could AA further be optimized by adjusting the sampling
according to contrast? For instance, the user could specify adaptive 3
or 4 down to threshold .3, then adaptive 2 down to threshold .1 or so,
and adaptive 1 below that...

At present I have no idea what the interface for this would look like,
or if it would have a significant effect on render times.. I just wanted
to get the idea out and see what people thought.

-Xplo